Manager, Health and Safety - Ministry of Education
About the Education Infrastructure Service
Education Infrastructure Service (EIS) as a part of the Ministry of Education (Ministry) manages one of the largest property portfolios in New Zealand, composed of over 2,100 primary and secondary State schools and over 8,000 hectares of land with a carrying value of $17.2 billion. EIS is also responsible for managing school payroll, school transport and for the delivery of information communication technology in schools. EIS undertakes around 3,000 projects per annum; a combination of Ministry and School led projects costing at least $800m per annum.
About the role
Guide health and safety outcomes across the school property and transport infrastructure sector.
Lead a team of specialists on a journey of continual improvement of the health and safety system, influencing behavioural and cultural developments within EIS to ensure industry leading health and safety risk management practices are adopted.
As a key and senior member of the EIS Risk and Assurance team, you will bring a systematic, disciplined approach to leading the continued maturity in the EIS H&S system transitioning towards a leader in the field. You will be the subject matter expert, with an industry recognised knowledge in infrastructure health and safety.
Your key priorities will include:
- provision of specialist H&S advice across the EIS operating environment
- leading the coordinated oversight and delivery of H&S activities within EIS, working with Ministry managers to ensure a broad coordinated approach
- leading and managing a team of H&S specialists in construction and school transport
- implementing, maintaining and improving the EIS H&S Strategy, system, processes and capability
- providing high quality guidance for school Boards of Trustees concerning property and construction.
Please note that there is further information in the attached Position Description.
You will be a recognised leader in infrastructure health and safety, seeking to deliver beyond industry standard health and safety practices. You will have a tertiary qualification and a passion for innovative solutions and first class delivery.
To be successful, you will have the following attributes:
- Balanced intelligence (IQ and EQ)
- Capable of working in a fast-paced, dynamic group environment and be comfortable with promoting change to deliver better solutions
- Strong, quiet leadership skills, knowing when to lead from the front and when to lend a helping hand from behind the scenes
- The ability to influence all levels of management and staff in matrix organisational structures
- Experience in the provision of accurate and timely reporting activities to various Boards and Leadership teams.
For further information please contact Stephanie Phillips at firstname.lastname@example.org